We have several strategies to help our researchers, not only women, and sustain their growth and success both personally and professionally.
- We provide role models for scientists (men and women) to inspire and help fight prejudices.
- We strive to improve a better work and family balance of our members through events where senior and younger researchers mingle, meet and discuss.
- We create a culture and boundary conditions at the workplace for female scientists to have equal career opportunities. We address delicate subjects such as sexual harassment.
- We propose career counseling events to give insight into all scientific possibilities, highlight job possibilities in industry, government, journalism etc and help young researchers make choices for their future.
- Research career advice programmes are organised to tackle topics such as effective oral presentations with more confidence, tips for writing a CV, identifying grants, preparing a budget and more.
- Research skills development is encouraged by initiating training in academic writing, oral and written presentation skills of research findings, data and work management, identifying research grants and writing a proposal, on how to develop ideas for a research proposal or how to supervise master students, etc.
- Personal effectiveness and communication skills are looked after with trainings and coaching opportunities on negotiation skills, time and stress management, effective communication and all other generic soft-skills necessary to advance in any career.
- Leadership training to help run a lab, hire and manage personnel are proposed to younger PIs and we hold panels on the ethics of science.
- Childcare/maternity leave support measures are implemented.
Follow our activities and offered training by regularly consulting our dedicated events page.
Useful links on Gender Equality
- An article exploring science career and gender issues
- Bureau de l’Egalité des Chances, UNIGE (in French)
- EPFL equal opportunity office
- Managing Unconscious Bias
- SNSF gender equality
- Marie Heim-Vögtlin grant
Useful links for Career and Career & Family balance
- Career trends: transferring your skills in several informative booklets.
- On balancing Career and family
- Science careers features frequently updated columns with excellent content
- On the secret of a successful career in science
- On how to choose a research area.
- Are our scientific heroes too heroic ?
Useful links on Mentoring
Useful links on Communication Skills
- Tips from a professional graphist on how to make great science posters (in French)
- Tips on how to give a talk. Great !
- Ten must-do for a successful postdoc
- Career strategies for Young European scientists : Am I good enough for being a scientist?
- Though love : An insensitive guide to thriving in your PhD
- PhD writing, publishing and editing
- A laboratory navigator by Kathy Barker (for prospective PIs) : a guide for newly appointed leaders of research teams
- How to run a grant panel (for prospective PIs)