We have several strategies to help our researchers, not only women, and sustain their growth and success both personally and professionally.
- We provide role models for scientists (men and women) to inspire and help fight prejudices.
- We strive to improve a better work and family balance of our members through events where senior and younger researchers mingle, meet and discuss.
- We create a culture and boundary conditions at the workplace for female scientists to have equal career opportunities. We address delicate subjects such as sexual harassment.
- We propose career counseling events to give insight into all scientific possibilities, highlight job possibilities in industry, government, journalism etc and help young researchers make choices for their future.
- Research career advice programmes are organised to tackle topics such as effective oral presentations with more confidence, tips for writing a CV, identifying grants, preparing a budget and more.
- Research skills development is encouraged by initiating training in academic writing, oral and written presentation skills of research findings, data and work management, identifying research grants and writing a proposal, on how to develop ideas for a research proposal or how to supervise master students, etc.
- Personal effectiveness and communication skills are looked after with trainings and coaching opportunities on negotiation skills, time and stress management, effective communication and all other generic soft skills necessary to advance in any career.
- Leadership training to help run a lab, hire and manage personnel are proposed to younger PIs and we hold panels on the ethics of science.
- Maternity/paternity leave support measures are implemented.
Follow our activities and offered training by regularly consulting our dedicated events page.
Useful links on Gender Equality
- An article exploring science career and gender issues
- Bureau de l’Egalité des Chances, UNIGE (in French)
- EPFL equal opportunity office
- Managing Unconscious Bias
- SNSF gender equality
- Marie Heim-Vögtlin grant
Useful links for Career and Career & Family balance
- Career trends: transferring your skills in several informative booklets.
- On balancing Career and family
- Science careers features frequently updated columns with excellent content
- On the secret of a successful career in science
- On how to choose a research area.
- Are our scientific heroes too heroic ?
Useful links on Mentoring
Useful links on Communication Skills
- Tips from a professional graphist on how to make great science posters (in French)
- Tips on how to give a talk. Great !
- Ten must-do for a successful postdoc
- Career strategies for Young European scientists : Am I good enough for being a scientist?
- Though love : An insensitive guide to thriving in your PhD
- PhD writing, publishing and editing
- A laboratory navigator by Kathy Barker (for prospective PIs) : a guide for newly appointed leaders of research teams
- How to run a grant panel (for prospective PIs)